Sit at the table in the manner of kings and princes with our historic dinnerware – identical replicas of original pieces from the 18th and 19th centuries. The diversity of table settings presented throughout this catalog illustrates a history of fashions, influences, and styles over more than a century. Each piece, each service, each historic cup is an invitation to rediscover, through porcelain, a few chapters of two great histories: art and the table.
Founded in 1737 under Louis XV, then put under the protection of the Comte d’Artois, Louis XVI’s brother in 1774 and sold during the Revolution, the Ancienne Manufacture Royale de Limoges is part of the history of France. It belongs to the Bernardaud group since 1986 and produces all its historical models in its Limoges workshops according to the strictest quality standards.
Please note that we will not be able to ship this exceptional decor within 15 days, please contact our Customer Service for more information: + 1 212 371 4300.
This piece exemplifies the fascination of the French court - of all Europe - for porcelain from the Land of the Middle Empire. Louis XVI purchased this cup from the Manufacture de Sèvres in 1774 along with a breakfast service in the same pattern. The date coincides with Sèvres first pieces of hardpaste porcelain: Limoges finally discovered the secret of "white gold" (kaolin) in 1768. The cup is adorned with two scenes: an emperor visiting his garden in springtime and contemplating a cherry tree, as his servant brings him its first blossoms; and a pipe-smoker with his servant, in a moment of meditation and repose. The edges of the cup and saucer are decorated with small friezes of gold, myrtle leaves and foliate patterns with shells.
Replica of a cup made by Manufacture de Sèvres, 1774.